Survey for School!

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Another Lesson on Trust

It keeps coming back, are you willing to trust God through anything? Will you believe that He is good even if experience tells you otherwise? Will you believe that He is in control? That He loves you and sees you?

This morning I've been thinking about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. If we didn't know the rest of the story, it would appear that God was too late. They desperately needed a miracle the moment they heard about the idol. But God did not give it. I'm sure that as they stood with hearts pounding listening to the music begin they were begging God to intervene. He could have easily had someone call them to the other room for some little reason at that moment. He could have reminded Nebuchadnezzar of the declaration Nebuchadnezzar himself had made about the true God of gods and Lord of lords not long before. He could have struck down that idol with a mighty wind.

These three men needed a miracle and did not get it. When they stood listening to the king's anger and were given a chance to respond, God could have changed the king's heart, could have given the men wise, persuasive words to talk themselves out of the situation. They needed a miracle as they were being bound and did not get it. But what did they answer the king?

"Even if our God does not save us, we will not bow down to the idol."

And so they were thrown in. God allowed them to be bound. He allowed those mighty men to grab them and throw them right into the middle of the fire. He didn't save them. Or did He?

We know the rest of the story. It is often told as a story of triumph. But I think we can take away some other lessons as well. Because we can't see the end of our story either. God often triumphs after it seams evil has already won. After they were thrown in the furnace. After God's son was killed. After Jonah was swallowed. After Daniel was thrown to the lions. After Esther's husband had given the un-reversable order to kill her people. After lazarus had died. When it is all over. That's when He triumphs. And it brings him greater glory.

God will always win. What he asks is whether you will trust him -- even if he doesn't. After he has "lost." We are so often tempted to say what Mary and Martha said, "Lord, if only you had been here, my brother had not died." If only you would give the miracle before it's over! If only you would save us now! It's almost too late! Please! Sometimes he does, but so often He doesn't. He asks if we will have the faith of Abraham. Abraham believed that God would keep his promise of thousands of grandchildren through his son Isaac even if Isaac was dead. Even if.

For some people the triumph will not come until after they have died. Until the new heaven and new earth. But it will be real. And it will be amazing. Things will not just be finally liveable but the entire story will really be put to right.

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth...wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city. Hebrews 11:13, 16b

Daniel chapter 3
Mathew chapter 27-28
The book of Jonah
Daniel chapter 6
The book of Esther
John Chapter 11
Hebrews 11:17-19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXMPNXXnCls

"Trust in You"

Letting go of every single dream
I lay each one down at Your feet 
Every moment of my wandering
Never changes what You see

I’ve tried to win this war I confess
My hands are weary I need Your rest
Mighty Warrior, King of the fight
No matter what I face, You’re by my side

When You don’t move the mountains I’m needing You to move
When You don’t part the waters I wish I could walk through
When You don’t give the answers as I cry out to You
I will trust, I will trust, I will trust in You!

Truth is, You know what tomorrow brings 
There’s not a day ahead You have not seen
So, in all things be my life and breath
I want what You want Lord and nothing less

When You don’t move the mountains I’m needing You to move
When You don’t part the waters I wish I could walk through
When You don’t give the answers as I cry out to You
I will trust, I will trust, I will trust in You!

You are my strength and comfort
You are my steady hand
You are my firm foundation; the rock on which I stand

Your ways are always higher
Your plans are always good
There’s not a place where I’ll go, You’ve not already stood

When You don’t move the mountains I’m needing You to move
When You don’t part the waters I wish I could walk through
When You don’t give the answers as I cry out to You
I will trust, I will trust, I will trust in You!

I will trust in You!
I will trust in You!
I will trust in You!

No comments:

Post a Comment