Survey for School!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Ok everybody, time for the big announcement!

I am hoping to go to the Philippines in February 2015. I will be there for two and a half years while studying to be a midwife. Here is the link to the school's website: Newlife International School of Midwifery.

When I graduated I had no idea what I wanted to do next or what God wanted me to do. You know how everybody asks. I did not know how to answer. So I searched and explored different options. I do think I should have gotten some kind of job just to make some money for whatever I chose but I did minister to my Aunt Margie which made a little money. I wanted to make the right decision. You always hear about christians or missionaries that just know how their life should be used. Looking back now I think that there were quite a few ways I could have decided to serve God that he would have been perfectly fine with.

When I settled on the path of mothers and babies he put other things in place.
  • He helped my family be supportive
  • gave my Aunt Becky the words to help me consider midwifery and not just lactation consulting
  • showed me that there are many mothers in third world countries that need help (It is a real door opener for Jesus)
  • and made sure I saw the ad for Newlife school.
I never felt "the call" but I have peace about it. I enjoy helping people in this way and find the birth process amazing.

So now that I have somewhat of a plan, I am ready to answer questions and ask for help. I still might say 'I don't know' but you can ask anyway.

Students combine bookwork with volunteer clinical work. All students are duly enrolled in the Newlife school and the National College of Midwifery so I will graduate with an associate's degree in midwifery and be eligible to take the NARM exam. If I pass the NARM exam I will be a Certified Professional Midwife as opposed to a Nurse Midwife. It is cool that Mom went to the Philippines when she was younger and now I am going but I will be in the south while she was in the north. Most of the ladies that come to the clinic have at least a basic understanding of English but I will be studying Visayan while I am there.

Some ways you can help?
  • # 1 is pray for me. I know there will be many hard things to get through, homesickness, culture shock, getting used to blood and guts, etc. I went to a birthing assistant class in Circleville on Friday and met another girl who might be going to Newlife as well so maybe I will know someone.
  • I need to "observe" 5 home births and 2 hospital births before I go. If you know anyone having a baby you can give them my phone number. I can arrange a meeting and let her decide if she wants me at her birth. Of course it would not be set in stone. If she says I can come and then is uncomfortable I do not mind sitting in the next room the whole time.
  • Ask me to take your pulse and bp when I get a blood pressure cuff. :) I could use some practice.
  • I have applied for several jobs and have not gotten any. I will keep trying but if your children need babysat or you know a place that is hiring please tell me. I need somewhat of a flexible schedule because of the births as an observer.
  • Pray that God will give the people at Newlife wisdom weather to accept me or not. They have about a 3 to 1 ratio of applicants and accepted students. Obviously I am hoping to get in but I also do not want to go if it is not what God wants or if there are others who should go instead.
Thank you to all my family and friends (Beka you are family.) I am not naturally a go to it person. More of a servant which is good for midwifery but I would not even consider this without your prayers and support.

2 comments:

  1. "The call" is often made to appear as if it is some magnificent revelation when, more often than not, it is simply inexplicable peace, encouragement and confirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds amazing praying all will go according to god will U girls and boys are growing up so fast :)

    ReplyDelete